Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cyrillic handwriting project

Posted by Catherine Rowland 
Catherine Rowland
Cyrillic handwriting project
July 28, 2013 05:18AM
Dear Maxim,

On rootsweb (Zakarpattia board) you mentioned that you might have some time over summer to help decipher some Cyrillic handwriting for the Carpathian Reflections site.

Some time ago I found a necrology list of Greek Catholic priests in a film for Paszony, Szabolcs varmegye. Half of the lists were written in Hungarian and the other half were in Cyrillic.

Because I have problems reading Cyrillic handwriting I started a small project to create a list of Cyrillic causes of death with examples of handwriting from these records. However my attempts to decipher the Cyrillic handwriting are terrible and I need some help. I am not always sure if the language is Ukrainian, Russian, or Romanian Cyrillic.

I am not able to attach the file on this forum. However if you write to me at kika3_au@yahoo.com.au I can send you my draft file for you to review.

kind regards
Catherine Rowland
Sydney, Australia

www.carpathianreflections.com
Re: Cyrillic handwriting project
July 28, 2013 06:01AM
Hello Catherine, language you see is Rusyn which is authentic language of local inhabitants. Basically it’s variant of Old-Russian language which developed to something original. It has common traits with Russian and Ukrainian languages but there is not identity. It also has a lot of adoptions from Hungarian and Slovak.

Yes of course, I will help you. It’s a good idea to create an example list. Files can be attached on general forum only but it’s better to send them in private.

I will send you email with my suggestions.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator