Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Babics or Velichkanics surnames in Transcarpathia

Posted by bobbishc 
Babics or Velichkanics surnames in Transcarpathia
November 05, 2017 01:39PM
Greetings

I have been researching two family names from Zakarpatia, Babics and Velichkanics. My family descends from Iwan (John) Babics (born around 1876) who came from Zolotarevo/Otosfalva around 1901, and married Anna Velichkanics (born around 1878) in Pittsburgh in 1903. The family name was morphed to Bobbish at some point. I believe I have located John's arrival record into the port of Philadelphia, as he arrived with two bothers Mihail and Jura. I know very little about Anna.

Is it possible that state records exist for their births? I am able to have correspondence translated before I send it, however I would not know where to even send letters or emails to begin searching.

Thanks,
Charlie
Re: Babics or Velichkanics surnames in Transcarpathia
November 08, 2017 03:45AM
Hi Charlie, thanks for making your post. Yes, records for Zolotarevo exist, there are “state records”, ie records of Austria-Hungary and Czecholovakia state notary’s offices, and there are church records. Coming from your initial information, you would be more interested in searching through church records.

Sending emails and letters to me is good idea for research start. I can help you to obtain records, if they exist of course, and if source books are available.

Please check your mail, I have specifying questions to you.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator