Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ugocsa relatives?

Posted by Kathy Kish Watson Pinkus 
Kathy Kish Watson Pinkus
Ugocsa relatives?
February 24, 2022 05:43PM
Hi Maxim -

With all that is going on with Russia/Ukraine, I am wondering if I still have any family in Zakarpatska Oblast of Onok, in the county of Ugocsa. My paternal grandmother came to the US from that area - her name was Anna Gyopyos. I believe her father's name was John, and her mother's name was Anna Danko. My grandmother had two brothers who came to the US -- Michael and Daniel. My grandma used to say she had a half brother still in Onok. Her mother passed away when she was young, and her father remarried. I don't know what her half-brother's name was, or if there were any more siblings born.

Any help and assistance would be amazing.

Thank you!
Re: Ugocsa relatives?
March 24, 2022 03:23AM
Hi Kathy, thanks for your post. Obviously you mean modern village Onok in Vynogradiv region of Transcarpathia. Its old Hungarian name is Ilonokújfalu, it was located in Tiszaninnen district of Ugocsa county.

Onok in Google Maps

This small village has surprisingly rich history. Its name comes from nearby creek named Onochok or Ilonok in Hungarian spelling. This creek was first mentioned in maps yet in 1295. Other version states that Ilonok comes from name of single woman Ilona who settled here and lived alone many years. Later other people joined her and established village Ilonokujfaly which is translated as “Ilona’s new village”.

The Onok was first mentioned in written sources in 1598. Accordingly to records of priest Timotey in 1664, the village became a battlefield between local landlords and Turks.

Part of Turkish captives has settled in nearby hamlet later known as Turkogat. In 1962 they have joined Onok and Turkogat in one village.

The economy of village was based on cattle breeding and winegrowing. In 1880s, locals adopted from Italian workers who build railways, the art of producing wooden railway ties. The quality of ties made in Onok was exceptional at that they were made by simple axes.

The village exported its kaolin or white clay to porcelain factories in Austria.

At the beginning of 20th century, population of Onok was 1506 of inhabitants, among them 1250 Rusyns and 256 Jews.

First stone Greek-Catholic church was built in 1876, mural was painted by Italian artists. In 1928 they supplemented the temple with high bell-tower which had 3 bells.

Sure, I can help you to find information about your ancestors in Onok. My genealogy service works even in such extraordinary circumstances.

Please check your mail for my suggestions and specifying questions.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator