Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hungarian names of Zakarpattya villages.

Posted by Maxim 
Re: Hungarian names of Zakarpattya villages.
January 18, 2020 01:54AM
Hi Ken, Olaszliszka is a city in Hungary and accordingly, all records including Jewish ones should be in local archives. I can recommend you great researcher who specializes in Jewish Hungarian research. He will help to clarify situation.

About Szelmencz, in the mentioned time frame it was one village consisting of two parts, Nagy Szelmencz and Kis Szelmencz. But now these are two villages in two different countries, Velke Selmence in Slovakia and Mali Selmentsi in Transcarpathia.

Certain Jewish records for this area are available and I can help you to check birth of Bertha Blima Ritter.

Please check your mail, I've sent contacts of Hungarian researcher and my suggestions.
Mark Brown
January 29, 2020 12:09PM
Greetings,

My sister and I have been tracing our family roots. Our great-grandfather, Michael Zekan, was born in Imstychovo, Zakarpats'ka, Ukraine, 30 October 1886. He emigrated to the US in 1902. We have been searching for more information on his family (parents and siblings). We think he might have had a brother, John/Janos, born 15 Jan 1882. Immigration and census papers for Michael show an alternate spelling: Mihaly Zekany. Any help locating our ancestors would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
January 31, 2020 06:46AM
Hi Mark, thanks for your post. Please let me provide short historical reference for Imstychovo. It’s one of the remarkable villages in Transcarpathia. It was first mentioned in written sources in 1351 as Misztice which is its Hungarian name.

In 15th century village belonged to estate of feudal lord Karacsonyi, later to a number of local families and to monastery. Hungarian geographers describe Imstychovo as predominantly Rusyn village with a small Hungarian community.

In 1851 it was populated by 847 of inhabitants, in 1910 by 1863 of inhabitants, now its population is around 3000 of inhabitants.

They have 3 temples in Imstychovo, 2 old Greek-Catholic and one newer Orthodox. On the top of the hill near the village, 269 meters high, they have ancient Greek-Catholic monastery and church which were built in 1773 and 1798 respectively. They belonged to Greek-Catholic Basilian order. Today monastery complex is treated as national architectural monument.

Also, they have old watermill built in the end of 19th century which is still fully functional.

As a researcher, I can help you to obtain information about your ancestors who originate from this village.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent my specifying questions and suggestions.
Nick Kiss
April 09, 2020 08:56PM
Hi!

I have narrowed down my family (surname = Kis) to Heteni / Hetény / Tiszahetény = Getynja

I would like to find records from Heteny starting from the year 1860. Some family members emigrated to the US and some Kis family members remained. Hoping to see if anyone is still in the area. Around 1880's Mihaly and Maria Kis had children Janos, Karoly, Pal, Miklos, and Juliana.

How can I get access to baptism records etc. in Heteny?

Thank you!
Nick
April 15, 2020 03:05AM
Hi Nick, thanks for your post. There are two villages with name similar to Heten/Heteni/Heteny in Transcarpathia. First one is Hetyen which is modern village Heten in Beregovo region, and second one is Heteni/Heteny/Tiszaheteny which is modern Getynja in Vynogradiv region. Also, name Heteny is referenced to modern village Chotin in Slovakia.

It would be good to specify this and since you have narrowed your family down to Heteni/Heteny, may be you have some documents mentioning spelling of the village.

Also, if you read through my forum you know that civil records for all cities and villages are available starting from 1895. And pre-1895 church records are different not only for every city but for every religion.

So I would like to know what church your ancestors belonged to.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent my specifying questions.
E. McElroy
April 16, 2020 06:25PM
Hello Maxim,

My grandfather is descended from Rusyn/Slovak immigrants that immigrated to the USA in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I have done my own extensive genealogical research using what documents are available online, but have hit a brick wall that I'm confident I won't be able to overcome unless the Zakarpats’ka records are made available online, which appears unlikely from what I've read. I am ready to turn over my research to a professional who is located in Zakarpats’ka Oblast and you seem like a great fit.

My grandfather's father was named John Paul Lokez (aka Jan Lokez/Lokesz) born in 1906 in Klacsano, Bereg County (present day Klyachanovo, Ukraine, just northwest of Mukachevo). Here's what I know about him...

--He immigrated to the US around 1930/1931, where he married.

--Father. His father's name was Joseph/Jozsef, who also made trips to the USA for work. I have a record of Jozsef coming to the USA in 1909 and at that time he was living in Klacsano. On John Paul's 1932 marriage certificate, it lists his father Jozsef as living in Erie, Pennsylvania, USA at that time. I have limited information on Jozsef and am not sure whether he died in the USA or Klacsano. Jozsef was born around 1875 based on my research.

--Mother. John Paul's mother (Jozsef's wife) was named Sophia Totin (maiden name) who did not come to the USA and remained in the "old country" (as we say in the USA). I do not know anything about Sophia other than her name.

--Sister. John Paul had a sister named Helen Lokez, born in 1903 in Klacsano. Helen married John/Jan Boldizar (John was also from and born in Klacsano). I believe it's possible Helen married John before they both immigrated to the USA in 1920.

--Brother. According to my grandfather and mother, John Paul had a brother named "Paul" who stayed behind in the old country with their mother Sophia, and did not immigrate to the USA. Based on family story, I have reason to suspect Paul died in the late 1950s or early 1960s, and had at least one son. This is all I know about Paul.

I would like to find out the following:

--Information and records on John Paul, Helen, and Paul, and if there were any other children of Joszef and Sophia.

--If Paul had any children. Names, dates, and records.

--Joszef and Sophia's parents. Jozsef and Sophia's brothers and sisters. Birth dates and birth places. Death dates if they remained in the old country.

I'm interested in hearing your professional opinion on chances of success based on your experience?

If the chances are good, please let me know if this project interests you and feel free to respond directly by email. I'm aware the coronavirus may impacted your timeline and availability, and there is no rush on my end. I merely wanted to get on your schedule for when you are available.

Happy to provide more information or documents by email.

Thank you for your time Maxim, stay safe.
April 21, 2020 10:09AM
Hi Eamonn, thanks for your post. Klyachanovo in modern Mukachevo region, former Klacsano of Bereg county, is one of the oldest villages in Transcarpathia.

In meters deep under earth surface, there is ancient multilayer settlement which is referenced to neolithic, bronze and iron ages. Archeologists have found 6 bronze hoards consisting of 3 hundreds of items, mostly referenced to late bronze and early iron ages.

Klacsano was first mentioned in written sources in 1475, it’s known that its first owners were Gallis family.

First temple was built in Klacsano in 1688, however later it was destroyed. Modern Roman Catholic church was built in 19th century on ruins of medieval chapel.

Greek Catholic church was built in 1820 on mountain Makosh right near the village, in 1991 it was rebuilt and enlarged.

In 1910 village was inhabited by 1099 residents, among them 62 Hungarians, 211 Germans, 825 Rusyns. Today its population is more than 2000 of inhabitants.

Answering your note, really, vital records for Zakarpattya are not digitized and exist as paper source books held in state archives. As a researcher, I can help you to obtain information about your ancestors.

Chances of success are good on preliminary estimate but I will need more details, of course.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent my suggestions.
David Voigt
April 23, 2020 12:50PM
Hi Maxim,

I'm researching a grandfather, Joseph "Yozsef" Roth, he immigrated to America in 1913. We have his birth certificate, I believe in Hungarian. It appears to indicate his birth place as "Tökésfalui, Bereg Vármegye (County), Hungary. I checked your wonderful index and found a similar named town under Bereg County, Szolyva Járás / Szolyava district as "Tövisfalva / Újtövisfalva = Drachyno". He was Jewish and I know those records can be hard to find. Any direction you can point me in to track the family down would be appreciated. Thank you David
May 12, 2020 02:20AM
Hi David, thanks for your post, I write this reply for our readers because we have specified everything in private already.

So it would be good to see the birth certificate of Jozsef Roth. However if you are confident in Tökésfalui of Bereg county, I have better match. It’s village Tökés or Tökésfalu in Bereg county, suffix falu/falva means “village”. Today Tökésfalu is village Zahattya in modern Irshava region.

Some pre-1895 Jewish records for this area are available, and civil records start from 1895. However, your inquiry is too vague right now, I would like to have more details.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent my specifying questions.
Jill S Levy
June 21, 2020 12:20PM
Thank you so much for this information. I have reached a dead end in trying to locate my great grandparents. My grandmother Aranka (Anna) Kramer Fischer was born in Czechoslovakia, Ivanka Nitre. The KRAMER family owned a dry goods store. There were 2 brothers, Arnold (Ignatz) and >?, 1 sister Emma. I believe my great grandmother's name was Celia or Cecelia. My grandmother was born around 1891 and came to the US in 1906. She used to say that she came from "Hochstedtnu" (my spelling).

My grandfather was born in Papa Hungary - Josef Fischer. He was born in the 1880's. 1 sister, Regina.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jill.
Elona Avinezer
June 22, 2020 05:18AM
Hello,
My mother's family lived in Lipcse(Lypcha) and I can't find it on the list.
Does that mean it wasn't included in the census or might it be included in a nearby town
such as Hust since it was only a small village?

Thanks!
Elona
June 26, 2020 05:56AM
Hi Jill, thanks for your post. First location, Ivanka pri Nitre, is village near Slovak city Nitra. Second location is Papa in Hungary which is halfway between Budapest, Vienn and Bratislava. “Hochstedtnu” reminds German name, like Hochstedt or Hochstadt, these are cities in Germany.

And none of locations has relation to Transcarpathia, obviously.

I can recommend you great researcher who specializes in Slovakia, Hungary and Austria. Please check your mail, I've sent his contact details.
June 26, 2020 06:04AM
Hi Elona, thanks for your post. On the list, Lipcse is mentioned as Lipcse-Polyana in Huszt district, both are small villages near modern Khust.

Pre-1895 Jewish records for this area are absent but civil vital birth, marriage and death records for Lypcha are available starting from 1895, like for all other villages and cities. This way, information about your mother's family may be found but it depends on time frame.

Please check your mail, I've sent specifying questions.
Sharon Pohanish Jarrow
Re: Hungarian names of Zakarpattya villages. Ung megye.
July 25, 2020 03:13PM
Hi,

I see several familiar villages listed that my grandparents, Mihaly and Anna Straskulic Pochanics (Povchanych) lived in. Dates would be 1860's to early 1900. They are Lubnya and Volosyanka. Primarily many came from Verkhovyna Bystra others and still live there. A few years ago I went to the archives at Uzhgorod with all the necessary papers to view any information on my family but the secretary wasn't able to help me. Can you help me?

Thank you,
Sharon Jarrow
Re: Hungarian names of Zakarpattya villages. Ung megye.
August 06, 2020 04:45AM
Hi Sharon, thanks for your post. Yes, I can help you but only if records are available. Lubnya, Volosyanka and Verhovyna Bystra constitute a cluster of villages but representation of pre-1895 church books is different for every of them.

I will need more information for review in order to say something more definite.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions.

Later note to our readers. Research on this family is already made, our visitors can read extended feedback here:

Excellent Genealogy Research
Mike Ellis
November 20, 2020 08:06AM
I am trying to track down my grandfathers home town and have seen on his documents that it was Amastichio, Astria-Hungary and on another ship log as Amastichio, Czechoslovakia.

Have you heard of this town?
November 22, 2020 12:12AM
Hi Mike, yes, most likely this is modern village Imstychovo in Irshava region, back then Miszticze.

In this recent post I've provided short historical reference:

Miszticze historical reference

Our archives hold vital records for Miszticze and quite possible that vital records contain information about your ancestral family.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
Pat Anderson
January 26, 2021 05:00AM
Hi,

I have been researching my family name Bősze. Gabor Bősze was born in 1854 in Debreczen. He moved south to Orali , Vilagos and then to Arad. Beyond that I can find no other information. I believe that the family may have come for the Poland and Czech - Sovakia areas and the family name my have an alternate spelling of Posze. I was just wondering if anyone has run across this my family name in this Transcarpathia area or give me more search ideas.

Thank you.
Rochelle
January 26, 2021 01:41PM
Trying to identify Jasina, Czechoslovakia (pre World War II name) so I can do some research on my grandparents born there. Thanks much. Rochelle
January 29, 2021 02:25AM
Hi Pat, thanks for your post. I use geographical term Transcarpathia as synonym of Zakarpattya which is region in modern Ukraine right under Carpathian mountains.

Your family originates from Debrecen, Hungary, and lived in Romanian cities Vilagos and Arad. So I guess you will need help of Hungarian and Romanian researchers because vital records for these cities should be in Hungary and Romania respectively.

I can recommend you appropriate person for Hungary. Please check your mail for my suggestions.
January 29, 2021 02:26AM
Hi Rochelle, undoubtedly this is modern Yasinya in Rakhiv region of Transcarpathia, Hungarian name is Körösmező and Jasina is its Czech name. This is a city with very interesting history.

First it was mentioned in written sources in 1555 as property of Hungarian aristocrats Dragfi, original name of the village was Kreusmezew. In 1583 it was passed to aristocrats Karoly.

Accordingly to folk legend, village was established by a shepherd who left his flock of sheep for a winter in an ash corral. And surprisingly, all sheep were fine till spring when he found them again. Actually Rusyn word “Yasin” means ash-tree.

The village grew. At the start of 19th century they have a number of Greek-Catholic and one Roman Catholic temple, and schools. In 1813-1824 they built nice wooden church which is an excellent example of wooden Hutsul architecture. Now it is part of Word Heritage by UNESCO.

In 1800 first Jewish settler arrived. Population of Yasinya rose from 2778 of inhabitants in 1850s to 9795 in 1914.

After the dissolution of Austria-Hungary in 1918, on November 9, 1918, Yasinya became a capital of the so called Hutsul Republic. This small independent state was ended by Romanian troops on June 11, 1919. In July 1919 Yasinya passed to Czechoslovakia according to the Treaty of Trianon.

Today Yasinya is mountain city with a lot of architectural monuments, developed tourism infrastructure and own small waterfall.

As a researcher I can help you to find information about your family. Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
Hello,

First, thank you for making this site available. It has been a tremendous asset in researching village names etc!

We are trying to locate my grandfather's family. We believe he was of Ruthenian descent and from the Maramaros region. On the records from Ellis Island his hometown reads: Taracz Ujfalu or Taraczujfalu, which may be the following:

Taracújfalu = Novoselytsja Nyágova

Ujfalu / Sósujfalu / Sósfalu = Novoselytsja

His name was Janos Bencsak and born about 1888/9 and his father was Karl (Charles). He was of Greek Catholic faith.

Any information or research support would be helpful!
b beardsell
cumalzeva maramoros
July 27, 2021 04:44PM
I am trying to locate village that my mother-in law was born in. Can you help? (Kovach-born October,1905 )
August 06, 2021 03:38AM
Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your post. I write this public reply for our readers because we have clarified everything in April-May.

Great work, you’ve located the village absolutely correctly.

Undoubtedly it’s Taraczujfalu of former Maramaros county, also known as Felso Nereznice. Now it’s village Novoselytsya in Tyachiv region.

Sure, I can help you to obtain information about your ancestors and in fact initial research was already made. I expect we will continue once you specify data that we need in order to spot correct person.
Re: cumalzeva maramoros
August 06, 2021 03:43AM
Hi Barry, we are talking about Maramaros County which was an administrative unit of Hungary and Austria-Hungary. It corresponds to a number of eastern districts of modern Zakarpattya/Transcarpathia in Ukraine and a number of northern districts in Romania. So Marmaros is historical region.

I don’t see exact match for spelling “Cumalzeva” however, undoubtedly, it’s modern village Chumalyovo in Tyachevo region. Its historical Hungarian name is Csomanfalva.

Chumalyvo in Google Maps

Chumalyovo is ancient village which was established in 14th century, obviously. Accordingly a local legent, the village name comes from fugitive Chumaly who has run away from his feudal from Uhlya and settled on the right shore of village Tereblya.

Accordingly to Hungarian chronicles, in 1406 the village consisted of 12 households. In 1839 it consisted of 621 of inhabitants, in 1901 their number rose to 1394. Its current population is over 3 000 of inhabitants.

First wooden church was mentioned in 1751, in 1872 they have built stone Greek Catholic church which copied one in Slovakian city Kosice. It was last repaired in 1935 and then abandoned. In 1963 it was destroyed.

In 1925 Maria Rybar and her brother Ivan established Orthodox community, church and female monastery. Building of the church was finished in 1939. Entire village has converted to Orthodoxy.

New stone Orthodox church was built in 1995 close to old one.

Please let me know if you need help with search of your ancestors in Chumalyovo.
Christina Judge
September 29, 2021 10:14AM
Hello Maxim,

Working with Thomas Peters at the Carpatho-Rusyn Society Genealogy Inquiry I have discovered that both of my mother's parents are Carpatho-Rusyn from Transcarpathia.

My grandfather, Jura Iszak, was from present day Velyki Komjaty in former Ugocsa County. His parents were Pavol Iszak and Maria Zan.

My grandmother, Anna Vataha, was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. But her parents, Michael Vataha and Bertha (Barbara) Lukacsina, are from the village of Kybljary, former Uni County.

If you could find any information about either or both of these families I would be delighted if you would share it.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Christina Judge
Tim F
October 29, 2021 11:39PM
Hi there! VERY thankful to this website, I found it just by clicking around a bit.

So I am looking for some ancestors. I tracked down their naturalization records. Charles(Ladislaus) was born in either Szlatina / Kisszlatina / Felsőszlatina = Solotvyno OR Szlatina / Nagyszlatina / Alsószlatina = Nyzhnie Solotvyno in about 1888 and his wife Maria was born in 1897 in Horlyó = Hudlyovo. Do any records survive for these towns??

Any info would be very appreciated!

Thank you
November 22, 2021 01:51AM
Hi Christina, I write my reply mostly to our readers because we have specified everything in private and research was already made.

Velyki Komyaty, old Hungarian name is Nagy Komjat, is one of the oldest villages in Transcarpathia. Its name comes from surname of village landlord Komjati who obviously originated from bigger city Sevlus (modern Vynogradiv) and inherited large land piece where later they started villages Nagy Komjat and Zavadka, or Kis Csongava.

And this is why the village was first mentioned in written sources in 1345 as Kumjath.

Later it belonged to aristocratic family Gutkeled.

At first, there were two different villages located together, Maguar Komjat and Orosz Komjat. First one was settled mostly by Hungarians and Germans, and second one was settled by Rusyns of Greek-Catholic faith. Eventually two villages have been united in 18th century.

In 1967 Velyki Komyaty were united with small nearby village Zavadka, or Kis Csongava.

Parish in Nagy Komjat existed at least from 1574, first wooden church is mentioned in 1751, and first stone church of St. Michael was built in 1790.

However, true jewel of the village is large temple of Holy Spirit which building was started in 1860 and finished in 1903. Its plan is copied from cathedral in Amsterdam. Every family participated in building giving its working days and money, including help from families who migrated to America.

Nagy Komjat in Google Maps

Kublyary is also one of the oldest villages in Trancarpathia located in Uzhgorod area. First it was mentioned in written sources in 16-17th centuries as Keobler, KobIjar, Kyblar. Its later more common Hungarian name is Kobler.

In 1751 they mention wooden church which later fired. In 1779 in the center of the village they have started building of new stone church of Ascension which was finished in 1819. In 1921 migrants from America have collected funds for 3 gorgeous bells which ornament the church till now.

Kobler in Google Maps

Both churches, in Nagy Komjat and Kobler, contributed Greek-Catholic records. They can be read and researched so I can help you to find information about your ancestors.

I would like to have more details for each family mentioned in your post. Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
November 23, 2021 06:17AM
Hi Tim, great work, you have established locations correctly. It may be more complicated with Szlatina/Solotvyno though. In fact, we have 3 villages with this name: Kis Szlatina, Nagy Szlatina and Akna Szlatina.

Kis Szlatina is small village Verhne Solotvyno which is referenced to Hudlyovo currently. Nagy Szlatina is village Nyzhne Solotvyno located in some distance. Both of them are referenced to Uzhgorod region.

And Akna Szlatina is modern city Solotvyno in Tyachiv region which is the very east of Transcarpathia. It’s located right on Romanian border close to city Sighetu Marmatiei.

Here are these villages in Google maps:

Kis Szlatina/Verhne Solotvyno

Nagy Szlatina/Nyzhne Solotvyno

Akna Szlatina/Solotvyno

And it’s clear about Horlyo/Hudlyovo, it’s located in Uzhgorod region either.

Horlyo/Hudlyovo

In fact, Nyzhne and Verhne Solotvyno and Hudlyovo constitute a cluster of villages so I think your ancestors originate from this area.

Please check your mail for my questions.
Pete Puzakulics
March 29, 2022 08:48PM
Hi Maxim,

I was referred to you by Tom Peters. I am looking for information on my grandparents. My grandfather, George Puzakulics, was born May 16, 1892 in Oszemere, Austria-Hungary (now Simer, Ukraine). His parents were Ignatz Puzakulics and Julia Mesko (or Meska).

My grandmother, Erszabet Zubaly, was born March 16, 1894 in Hegyfark, Austria Hungary (now Pidhorb, Ukraine). Her parents were Michael Zubaly and Helena Kapatuk (?).

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

I understand the current situation in Ukraine and hope you are safe.

Thanks!

Pete
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator