Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hungarian names of Zakarpattya villages.

Posted by Maxim 
Alyssa
Re: Hungarian names of Zakarpattya villages.
May 04, 2022 08:28AM
Hello Maxim,

I am trying to locate the village where my great grandparents emigrated from in what was then Upper Hungary.
They are both Slovak, and their names were Maria C Egri and Jozef Michal Balazek (or Blazek).
Most records in the US indicate that they were from the village of Huta (Czechoslovakia or Slovakia), but on Maria Egri's immigration record it says that her place of birth was Unghuta.
I know that Jozef Balazek's parents were Michal Balazek and Maria Walko (or Volko), and Maria Egri's parents were Ferenc Egri and Anna Danko.
All spoke Slovak, and to my knowledge they were all Catholic.

When I search for modern-day Huta, several options come up in the Banska Bystrica country of Middle Slovakia, but I was wondering if it could also be referring to Huta/Hutta/Unghuta in the old Ung region, given the name on Maria Egri's immigration record.

Thanks for your help!

Alyssa
July 16, 2022 09:05AM
Hi Pete, thanks for your post. It’s safe now in Transcarpathia, my genealogy service works as usual and this is why Tom Peters has kindly referred to me.

I write this public reply mostly to our readers because research on Puzakulics and Zubaly families has been already made and even old Rusyn language correspondence between parts of your family was translated.

And here I would like to provide short historical reference about your ancestral cities.

Ozsemere/Simer

Ancient people were living in this area yet in Paleolithic and Iron ages.

Simer was first mentioned in written sources in 1551, as “Szemere settlement in Ung [county]”. In 1739 it was mentioned as O’Szemere, which means Old Simer. And name Uj Szemere was referenced to village Simerki.

In 1827, there were 420 of inhabitants in Simer. In 1910, there were 796 of inhabitants. Modern populations is round 2k of inhabitants.

The stamp of Simer known yet in 1857, represents a bull carrying red heraldic shield.

First temple built in Simer was wooden church of St. Pareskevia, it had two bells and full icon-stand which was pretty unusual for small village back then. This church was first mentioned in 1751 but undoubtedly, it was built earlier.

Modern stone basilica Curch of Intercession was built in 1782 and renewed number of times in 20th century.
Also, Simer is known by a spring of exceptionally clear water much enriched by ions of silver.

Simer in Google Maps

Hegyfark/Pidhorb

Old Hungarian name of Pidhorb is Hegyfark. This small village is located right to Uzhgorod, in a couple of miles of the city center.

This small village never had own church and so it was referenced to parish in Velyki Lazy/Nagylaz.

Prior to WWI, they had a belfry with a 60 kg bell which was built in 19th century, obviously. In 1917 bell was seized for military needs and later villagers have sold the belfry.

However, in 1990s they have built in Pidhorb two large stone temples, Greek-Catholic and Orthodox. This building required years of intensive work and large amounts donated by private sponsors and local companies.

Pidhorb in Google Maps
July 18, 2022 06:30AM
Hi Alyssa, there are literally dozens villages named Huta in Central and Eastern Europe. This is old Slavic location name which comes from German word “Hutte”. It means small glass furnace. If village is named Huta, most likely they had small glass-furnace facility there.

Unghuta

Prefix Ung undoubtedly points to location of the village, this is Huta in Ung county. Now it’s village Huta in Uzhgorod region, close to Slovakia border:

Unghuta in Google Maps

The history of Unghuta corresponds with its name. Huta was established by a couple of families of glassblowers in the mid 17th century. First it was mentioned in written sources in 1691 and consisted of 7 households. Later in 1715-1720 the village was depopulated, and settled again in the mid of 18th century.

Except of glass production, Unghuta was known by gorgeous wild-cherry gardens which exist till now.

There are two temples in Huta, old Roman-Catholic and new Orthodox. Also, they have ancient belfry built in 1807 year.

Please check your mail for me specifying questions.
Karen Sutton
Re: birth/marriage/death records Patskanovo and Shkurativtsi
November 28, 2022 08:37PM
Can you direct me to how I can locate above records for family members? My paternal great grandparents were John Vasko and Ann Havrilecz from Packanovo/Patskanovo. I believe house #63 based on a baptismal record for infant Ferencz in 1889. They had 4 children Andrew, George, Ferencz (died as infant and Hafia). All of the children emigrated to the US in early 1900s.
My other Paternal Great Grandparents were also Miso and Katerina Janzca of Shkurativtsi (I also have the village as Skuratocz). I was able to get the 1921 census records for the Janzca family. My grandmother Maria Janzca had already married my grandfather George Vasko and moved to the states in 1920, so she was not included in the 1921 census. I would love to find their marriage records. They were the Waskos once they arrived here. Thanks for any help you can provide.
I am also trying to confirm, one way or another, if these families were Rusyn. They were Greek Catholic, small farmers, by trade. What other identifying information would help make that determination.
Best regards,
Karen
Carole Allison
March 27, 2023 06:13PM
Hi,
I contacted you many many years ago and somehow I dropped the ball. I am looking for information on my grandfather, Jan Biszaha, son of Vasil Biszaha and Anna Orbanova. I have his birth certificate and had it translated into English. From the birth certificate, Vasil was born in Stanovo and Anna was born in Pistrjalovo. On the various censuses, my grandfather identified with Mayar, Hungarian, Czechoslovak. I would like more information about my great grandparents, what nationality they were and where these places are. My son travels to Europe for work and wanted to know where they are from. I'd appreciate any information and I am sorry I dropped the ball those years ago.
Sincerely, Carole Allison
March 28, 2023 02:55AM
Hi Karen, I write this public reply for our readers mostly since we have discussed everything in private. It's a bit late but I hope you don't mind. Note to our readers: all posts and messages are always replied in private first, so Karen’s inquiry was reviewed and research was made already.

Here’s short historical reference for Patkanyocz:

Patkanyocz historical reference

First of all, yes, based on surnames spelling and GC religion, your ancestors were Rusyns, as this ethnicity was called back then in Austria-Hungary. GC faith supposes Rusyn ethnicity almost automatically, only a tiny share of Slovaks was GC here.

Tom Peters who you communicate with can offer you great collection of decent resources on Rusyn culture and language.

And I can help you to find out more about your ancestors in vital records for Transcarpathia. There is large collection of old GC books for Patkanyocz so research may be made on both your Vasko and Janczo paternal lines.

You mention sources like baptismal records and census, I would like to review.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
Betty Farkas-Hart
April 09, 2023 06:07PM
Hi,

I know this is an old post, but I am chancing it.

My Great- Great- Grandfather Jaszter Jozsef was a Pastor in the town of Makkosjanosi ( reformatus) in the 1920's/1930's. Does the "templom" where he preached still exist nowadays?

Thank you!!!

Betty Farkas-Hart
April 10, 2023 01:58AM
Hi Betty, I'm confident that this old Reformat church exists. In English, they are called Reformat Church Religious Community of village Janoshi (Balazher).

Please check this link:

Makkosjanosi Reformat Church in Google Maps
James Borsos
July 19, 2023 04:48PM
Can you provide the marriage record of Basilius Borsos and Maria Kormos ca 1893-185 or so and earlier in Alsosarad?
I have the 1921 census with their family.

Can you provide the siblings of Basilius Borsos and Maria Kormos and more data?
Sue Stanko
April 04, 2024 07:11AM
My Father-in-law, Michael Stanko was born in Horjany in 1920. His father also Michael Stanko born 1898 and his mother Mary Szicsak born (in Hungary?)1898.
Looking for any information.(where is Horjany?)
April 10, 2024 03:02AM
Hi James, thanks for your post. Private reply was sent to you yet on July 2023 and this is my public reply.

Village Alsosarad back then belonged to Tiszaninnen district (jaras) of Ugocsa county (megye). Nowadays it’s village Nyzhnje Bolotne in Irshava region.

Undoubtedly, I can help you to find vital records for Borsos and Komlos families, but I would like to have more information.
Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
April 10, 2024 03:58AM
Hi Sue, thanks for your post. Horjany/Horyany is ancient satellite village of Uzhgorod and now it’s suburb. Name Horjany means “highlanders” or “highlands”. Hungarian name is Gereny and it is consonant with word görény which means ferret.

It was first mentioned in written sources in 1332 as Gheren. However, this village has way more ancient history.

For example, remains of fortifications found in Horjany are referenced to later Roman period, ie 3-4th centuries A.D.

And the most prominent historical monument is Horjany rotunda church built yet in 10-11th centuries in Byzantine style, using distinctive opus mixtum masonry. There are a lot of versions who, why and when has built it. But it may be stated with certain confidence that it was built by Slavic builders who were influenced by Byzantine architectural style.

Much later in 13th century, Hungarian King Bela IV has built a castle around of it because main Uzhgorod’s castle which stands on the hill was devastated by Mongols. Rotunda church became a part of this castle and was redesigned in Gothic style. Horjany castle didn’t remain till our days but its remains were found by archeologists around the rotunda church.

Also, in 14th century, they have established the Monastery of Paul’s Order in Horjany, remains of this building are also found but not researched well.

This way, Horjany always were part of Uzhgorod, and maybe even a center of the city in medieval times. Later it existed as small nearby village with population just a bit more than 1000 of inhabitants in the beginning of 20th century. Nowadays Horjany is integrated suburb of Uzhgorod.

About your inquiry, sure, I can help you to find out more about your ancestors who originate from this curious location.

Please check your mail for my questions.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator