Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking for Records relating to Jewish Family

Posted by Courtney 
Courtney
Looking for Records relating to Jewish Family
August 09, 2021 06:55AM
Hello,

I am hoping you can point me in the right direction in my research. First and foremost I am trying to track down a record of death and hopefully the cemetery in which Giza (Gittel) Klein nee Salomonovics is buried. She was born about 1896 and died in about 1921 in Jovra. Her husband was Jeno Klein. The family currently assumes they were married in about 1913. The family lived in Jovra, Czechoslovakia. I have found a death record for their son Sandor Klein who died as an infant in May 1914 in SSA Michalovce, Jovra Deaths Vol. 04 on jewishgen.org, but searching for Giza turns up no results. I have also been unable to find a birth record for their son Moritz/Moric (Moishe) who was born in August of 1916 in Jovra.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Re: Looking for Records relating to Jewish Family
September 14, 2021 01:05AM
Hi Courtney, we have specified everything in private and so I write my public reply here.

Jovra is ancient name of modern village Storozhnytsya which is neighboring to Uzhgorod. Today, it’s rather Uzhgorod’s suburb even though it is still separate village. This is one of the oldest villages of Transcarpathia, first it was mentioned in written sources yet in 1288 but existed even earlier. Ancient Hungarian names of Storozhnytsya are Ewr, Hewr, Jowra, Ora, Eor, Őr.

Later in 1984 Őr was joined with neighboring village Darma and renamed to Őrdarma. After dissolution of Austria-Hungary in 1918 they used its Czech variant of name which is Storoznica.

The village was settled by large Jewish community and its vital records may be researched.

Sure, as a researcher, I can help you obtain vital records for your ancestors, if they are available of course and if family really lived in Jovra and had vital events registered there.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions and suggestions.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator