Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uzhgorod archives. What to expect?

Posted by Maxim 
Re: Uzhgorod archives. What to expect?
January 30, 2019 01:44AM
Hi Jeanette, thanks for making your post. Yes, Opalenik is common surname here, and it’s often seen in records so I guess your ancestors originate from Transcarpathia. Village Vorochovo is located relatively close to Uzhgorod, in modern Perechyn region. Some GC records for Vorochiovo are available. Really, these records are in Uzhgorod and I can help you to obtain information about your ancestors.

Please check your mail, I've sent specifying questions.
Frank Diaz
April 04, 2019 12:20AM
Hello Maxim.

My maternal grandfather was named Nicholas Dranchak (Dramcak) and was born in Domafalva, Austria-Hungary in 1893. This village is now in Romania. It took much research and DNA tests for me to get to this point. Do have any advice on how I can possibly find more information on him?

My grandfather passed in 1969. When in the United States, he had a family in New Jersey. Around 1928 his wife was placed in a hospital and he then abandoned 5 children and changed his name to John Dudey and left the state. He later met my grandmother, married her and moved to California. He would never speak of his European origins. My mother says he spoke 11 language/dialects, all Slavic plus German and Russian (possibly Ukranian).

My grandfather's parents were Paul Jacob Dranchak (a bricklayer who was killed on the job about 1909) and Juila Kozman. Is Kozman a common name? Should it be Kozma? Is Dranchak a common name?

As far as I know, my grandfather was Catholic and attended a catholic school, which he ran away from when he was about 16. He may have had a brother that became a Deacon or a Priest.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Donna
Re: Town of Roho or Roha
June 18, 2019 12:14PM
Maxim,
Hello, I have been looking for my ancestral town in Hungary (county Maramaros) around 1910, on the ship's manifest it says "Roho", but I've only found a "Raho", but don't seem to find any other info, like on a map, where it shows this town. My grandfather came here in 1912 into Ellis Island. Can you offer any insight?
Thanks so much, Donna
Re: Town of Roho or Roha
June 21, 2019 12:57AM
Hi Donna, offering insight will be easy, Raho in former Maramaros county is modern city Rahiv, without doubts. There is no other city or village in Maramaros with name Roho, so I believe it’s a matter of how you read old handwriting.

Please check your mail, I will send additional info.
Lucie
July 02, 2019 02:29PM
Hello Maxim,

I am looking for family of my great grandmother Julie Petuška. She was born in 1909 in Poroškovo. At age aprox. 15 she left to Czechoslovakia with some school or work project. I have names of her parents from birth certificate of my grandmother who was born in Nymburk, Czechoslovakia.

I found that Petuška is name usual in Litva. I also have a DNA test for my grandmother and it shows possible ancestors in Poland or Belarus. But the start line is Poroškovo. Please, let me know how we can cooperate on research. I visited Poroškovo 15 years ago, but found nothing what would help. Thank you in advance for your answer.
Jake McDonald
July 12, 2019 09:35PM
Hello,

I am working on my Hludzik family. Janos Hludzik immigrated to America in 1911. He was born in Antalovce 15 May 1893. I believe he may have had 2 brothers, Vasil and Lazlo. They too immigrate to America about the same time as Janos.

I believe their religion to have been Catholic.

What type of information might be available regarding families from the area of Antalovce?

Thank You Very Much,
Jake McDonald
July 23, 2019 07:20AM
Hi Lucie, thanks for your post. We've discussed everything in private already and here's my public reply.

So if you read through my forum, you know that civil recording in Austria-Hungary has been started in 1895. This way, civil birth records for Poroshkovo are available and birth of your ggmother Julie in 1909 should be available too. Really, I can help you to obtain it.

Please check your mail for my questions and suggestions.

Maxim
July 23, 2019 07:29AM
Hi Jake, thanks for your post. Unfortunately, pre-1895 church records for modern Uzhgorod region are rather limited. So in case with Antalovce, something can be found but something can't be.

I need more information in order to review your inquiry and make my prognosis. Please check your mail, I've sent my specifying questions.

Maxim
Christian
October 28, 2019 09:08AM
Hello,
I'm doing research on my maternal grandparents and I came across your site. Unfortunately I only speak French and to make me understand I do the translation into English on Google translation.

I do not have any information on the region of origin of my grandparents, but through research, I just discovered your forum on the Hungarian names of the villages of Zakarpattya.

In your list is the village of Kistarna / Hyzha (Ugocsa Megye / Tiszantul Járást).

My research focuses on a village called Hyza (name that appears on all French documents) and the parish of Mala Tarna.

Are we talking about the same village? If the answer is positive, are you able to find something, if only to confirm that it is [probably] the village of my grandparents.

My research concerns the Holyak and Filey / Filey families, of Greek-Catholic religion.

Thank you for your help.
October 31, 2019 04:47AM
Hi Christian, thanks for your post. I believe language should not be hard barrier.

Your guess is correct, Kis Tarna, Mala Tarna and Hyzha are different names of the very same village, and Kis Tarna is its older Hungarian name. Modern Hyzha is located in Vynogradiv region.

It is rather big village populated by ~ 2000 inhabitants currently, and it’s located on Romanian border. Kis Tarna is first mentioned in written sources in 1629. Now Hyzha is known by agriculture farming developed due to mild and warm climate.

As a genealogy researcher, I can find information about your ancestors. However, I need more information. Please check your mail, I have specifying questions.
Lucy
November 15, 2019 04:01AM
Hi All,

I emailed the Uhzgorod archives some time ago with a request but never heard from them. Does anyone have any advice on who else might be of help in the area?

I am mainly interested in Jewish birth records from the area of Munkacs, Svaljava, Solocin.

Person I am looking for is Izak/Igor Weiss *8/7/1907, mother Franciska Weiss, father Jakub Klein, siblings Hana, Cecilie, Wilhelm, Emanuel and Andela. These are Czech varieties of names and they might appear differently in original documents.

Izak perished during the holocaust, but whereabouts of the rest of the family are unknown. I only have a note saying that in 1939 they were in Hungary. The place is not specified though.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you.
November 20, 2019 06:12AM
Hi Lucy, thanks for your post. Yes, a research is not function of state archives and they never reply back. However I can help you to obtain information about your ancestors.

If you read through my forum you know that civil recording in Austria-Hungary has been started in 1895. This way, for example, birth record of Izak Weiss in 1907 must be in civil birth records, same about birth records of his siblings. I can state this confidently even though you didn't provide exact location which would be helpful.

Jewish rabbinate records for Mukachevo and Svalyava area are available either, but again I need location to state anything confidently.

Please check your mail, I've sent specifying questions.
Jon
February 20, 2020 06:37AM
Hi Frank...The village of Domafalva is the Hungarian form of the current town of Domashyn which is in Velykobereznianskyi district, Zakarpattia Oblast. I have several ancestors that came from Domafalva/Domasina/Domashyn to the Binghamton NY area.
Jon
February 20, 2020 07:06AM
Hello,
I am looking for any information on my grandfathers Aleksa(Alex) Czuhanich (b.1889) and Peter Priszlupszki/Prislupsky (b.1874) from the town of Domashyn, Velykobereznianskyi district, Zakarpattia Oblast, Ukraine. As a family we have no information about their life in Domashyn (they NEVER talked about the homeland) other than the Czuhanich's owned a horse farm and that the Russians confiscated all of the horses for the war. Would love to find out anything about the two surnames listed.

Is there a website online that provides genealogical information for the town of Domashyn?
February 22, 2020 01:30AM
Hi Jon, thanks for your post. Answering your last question, there is no website that provides relevant genealogical information for any city of Transcarpathia and here’s why.

Genealogical information of your interest is contained in church and civil vital records. Available vital records exist as paper source books held in archive, they are not digitalized and not online.

Except of tiny fraction of GC books for former Bereg county which was filmed and digitalized by LDS. They can be found as microfilms on their FamilySearch website.

Undoubtedly, authentic books of vital records are the most trustworthy source for genealogical information.

Getting back to your inquiry, I can state that surname Priszlupszki is definitely seen in records for Domafalva.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
Joel Folman
February 27, 2020 12:31PM
Hello Maxim,

I'm currently looking at my mother's side of my tree. Her parents came from the village of Patakos or Patkayocz but today is called Patskan'ovo. I'm looking for as much information as I can about my ancestors.

Grandfather's name was Andras (Andrew) Zozulinecz born Dec. 27, 1881. His father was Mihaly (Michael) Zozulinecz and his mother's name was Anna Tirpak (Terpak). That's all I have for that side. Grandmother's name was Maria (Mary) Bulecza (Buletza) born Jan. 7, 1889. Her father was Mihaly (Michael) Bulecza believe he died in 1923. Mother's name was Mary Svida (Szvida) believe she died somewhere around 1900. My grandmother had a sister Julia that came to America with her in 1920. I'm sure there had to be more brothers and sisters for all these families. I do remember my grandmother had a brother that was a POW in WW1 in Italy. She said he came back home after the war. But I have no names for them.

Also, I found a sister to my grandfather Anna Zozulinecz that came to Ellis Island in 1914 but was deported for unknown reason. Would love to find out more about my mother's side. Since my father's side is nearly completed.

Thanks in advance,

Joel Folman
itamar
February 28, 2020 03:10PM
Hi,

I'm doing research about my family - Ickovics family from Beregkovesd.

Are there Jewish vital records from Beregkovesd before 1895?

Thanks.
March 03, 2020 05:14AM
Hi Joel, thanks for your post. Really, Patakos and Patkanyocz are old Hungarian names of modern village Patskanyovo in Uzhgorod region of Transacarpathia. And its historical Czech name is Patkanyova.

Patkanyocz/Patskanyovo

This is one of the oldest villages here, first mentioned in written sources in 1600. However, archeological excavation found that this area was settled yet in 5th century BC.

Village was known by 6 big watermills built from 1898 to 1940s. Their owner was a Pole settler Zvursky also known as Matij.

Patskanyovo was predominantly Rusyn Greek-Catholic village, stone church of St. Nicholas was built in 1839 but small wooden church existed yet in 1776.

Interesting that the village consists of one street 7 km long, ie it’s built along the road. Its modern population is round 1800 of inhabitants.

Getting back to your inquiry, there are good chances to find information about your grandfather Andras Zozulinecz and your grandmother Maria Bulecza in available vital records.

Please check your mail for my suggestions.
March 03, 2020 05:30AM
Hi Itamar, in general, Jewish vital records for Irshava area are rather limited but I think some records for Bereg Kovesd are available.

I need more information to state anything definitely about Ickovics family.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent specifying questions.
April 25, 2020 04:19PM
Anna Bentza born 1878 former Uglya, Maramarosh, Austria-Hungary (now called UHLYA, located in Zakarpattya Oblast Western Ukraine) married Fedor or Frank Babich 1877 I believe in Uglya before their immigration to the United States.

Anna's mother Majia (Marie/Mary) born 1862 former Uglya, Maramarosh, Austria-Hungary (now UHLYA, Zakarpattya Oblast Western Ukraine) travelled back and forth from Uglya to the United States at least three times. Majia was married at least three times and her maiden name is unknown, married surnames #1 - Bentza , #2 Nemish #3 Bogdan .

Would Técső Járás / Técső district of the Uzhgorod archives hold information for the period 1862-1930's for Uglya such as birth, and marriage records. I am interested in finding if any family remains there as well as learning my 3g-grandmother's maiden name.
May 12, 2020 02:40AM
Hi Lisa, thanks for your post. Yes, state archives hold vital records of Uglya for mentioned timeline. So I can help you to obtain information about your ancestors.

As very general preliminary estimate, I suppose that some information about Bentza and Babich families in Uglya may be found, and same about Anna Bentza's mother Maria.

However, I need more details to state anything for sure. Please check your mail for my specifying questions.

Later note to our readers. Research on this family is already made, our visitors can read extended feedback here:

Comprehensive Ancestry Research
Andrew
May 14, 2020 04:55PM
Hi Maxim,

I'm hoping to track down my grandmother's (or even her parents') birth certificate/any records. She was born in Irshava in 1924 and we were able to locate her AEF Displaced Persons Card from after she was liberated at Bergen-Belsen along with documents from her father at Auschwitz. Her father was from Beregkovesd.

Do you think her and her family's vital records are still archived? I can provide more information via email. Thanks
Meredith S
June 25, 2020 04:08PM
Hi Maxim -

Do you know if the archive in Uzhgorod would hold the metrical records for Jewish births in Szeklence (otherwise known as Sokyrnytsia) from 1919? Happy to provide additional detail by e-mail.

Thank you!
Marzell Ingor Horst Klaftenegger
July 05, 2020 02:46PM
Hi Maxim,

I am trying to locate any records of my father Marzell Josef Klaftenegger, born in Munkacs (Ungarn at the time). He was born 11/11/1912 to Josef Klaftenegger and Elizabeth Theresia Tulcsik. Josef Klaftenegger was from Wien.

I have no information for either of his parents. My father had a sister named Elizabeth Katarina Klaftenegger, born June 7, 1915.

Any information would be very helpful, since my mother, father and Marzell's sister have passed several years ago.

I reside in Texas, USA and find it very difficult to do research over in that region. I did go through lots of old church records that were digitized for churches in lower Austria (Steyermark) and found quite a few Klaftenegger; but no connection so far.
August 06, 2020 03:59AM
Hi Andrew, thanks for your post. I write this note for our readers since we have clarified everything in private and research was already made.

If you read through my forum, you know that civil recording in Austria-Hungary has been started in 1895. Some pre-1895 Jewish records for Kovesd are available too.

Supposedly, your grandmother’s birth record may be found because it should be in civil records. However, I need more information to state anything for sure.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
August 06, 2020 04:03AM
Hi Meredith, yes, they should be here. Jewish birth records for Szeklence/Sokyrnytsya should be included in civil birth records. Year 1919 is available undoubtedly.

Happy to receive your details. Please check your mail.
August 06, 2020 04:49AM
Hi Marzell, thanks for your post. I don’t think that there is any difficulty in research if you work with good researcher.

If you read through my forum, you know that civil recording in Austria-Hungary has been started in 1895. I can state that at least birth records of your father and his sister in 1912 and 1915 should be in civil birth records for Munkacs.

I suppose that if family of Elizabeth Theresia Tulcsik originates from Munkacs, it may be possible to find them. However I need more information to state anything for sure.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent my specifying questions.
Michael Penyak
August 22, 2020 09:27PM
Hi. My name is Michael Penyak I am trying to research family history. Great Grandfather George Penyak Sr. was from Dubrynychi Ukraine. He came to the US IN 1904. I am wondering what genealogical information might be in the archives. Any help would be great appreciated.
Michaele
September 27, 2020 01:21PM
I am looking for ancestors who lived in what is now eastern Slovakia, but their church records were apparently kept in a town that is now in the Ukraine. The town is Onokivtsi (Felsodomanya). Would these records be in the Uzhgorod archives? The town in Slovakia I am trying to research is Petrovce (was Ungpeteri). Family names include Dzurindak, Hornyak, Fallis, and Fechik. Thanks!
Zachary Krausman
September 28, 2020 12:40AM
Hi, I am hoping to track down my grandmothers birth certifciate. She was born in 1926 in Pasika, is it possible this is in Uzhogorod?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator