Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uzhgorod archives. What to expect?

Posted by Maxim 
Re: Uzhgorod archives. What to expect?
August 10, 2022 07:11PM
Hello!
I am looking for the family of my 2nd great grandparents. They came to America in the early 1900s, and I determined they came from Németkucsova, a town in the district of Munkács. I am specifically looking for the surnames Pfeifer, Womacka/Vomacka (I've seen many variations), Holdofel/Holcapfel, and Kizmann. I have been so stuck trying to find records, let alone any information about this town. Do you have any ideas about my next steps?
Thank you so much!
Elise
Rachel M
Moskovic Nankif/Hustkoz/Nankove
August 29, 2022 07:54AM
Hi, looking for info on my ggggreat grandparents that lived in Nankove/Hustkoz/Nankif. Lived there around 1850 Chaim Moskovic and spelling variations. I'd love to find where he is buried, name of his wife and children,
His daughter, Leah Moskovic married Teszler and is buried in Sighet. She died in 1917.
Please let me know if there is more info out there.Thank you so much,
Rachel M.
Bonnie M
August 30, 2022 04:14PM
If you are still taking commissions, I am interested in a quote. My Beck families were from Nagy Geocz and Csaczlocz in Zakarpattia Oblast, and it's also possible that some were registered in Chop.

The families in question were those of Rafael Beck and Lena Mariam Julia Lang. Rafael died between 1896 and 1907. Lena then came to the United States with her family. Known children: Samuel b April 22 1870, Louis b March 15 1876, Mary b 1866, Jannie b 1888?, Esther b May 1 1889?, Malveen b 1891 (Nagy Geocz), Moritz b Oct 30 1893 Nagy Geocz, and Jules D b Feb 22 1896 in Nagy Geocz. I obtained all of this from American records.

Another family of high interest that are said to be cousins are two brothers, Samuel Beck, born 1872 in Csaszlocz (he was in the index) and Martin Beck b 1882 in Nagy Geocz (I found one in the index born in 1881). Possible parents are Morris Beck and Fannie (Klein)?

I hope to hear from you.

Bonnie
October 04, 2022 05:48AM
Hi Mike, I write this public reply for our readers since we clarified situation in private.

You mean modern village Dusino near city Svalyava, prior to 1946 it was known as Zaigov, old Hungarian name Zajgó.

This small village in mountain gorge was established in 15th century. It never was big because land in the narrow valley wasn’t fruitful. So even in the 21st century its population was a bit over 1.5K of inhabitants.

Jewish records for this area are available but you mentioned that ancestors you search for lived in first half of 19th century. And overall Jewish recording in Transcarpathia was started in second half of 19th century.

This way finding them may be problematical. However, I would like to know more details about your case.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
October 05, 2022 12:41AM
Hi Elise, sure, I can explain situation with available records and help you obtain information about your ancestors from state archives.

In fact, research on one of your ancestral families was already done and I write this public reply mostly for our readers.

Németkucsova is old Hungarian name for modern village Kuchava in Mukachevo district.

Kuchava in Google Maps

This village was known from 14th century and settled by Germans in 18th century. Since then it was known as predominantly German village, with tiny share of Hungarian and Rusyn population. So logically, they had the only Roman-Catholic church in the village which was built in second half of 20th century from adobe. Later in 1920-30s it was rebuilt in stone.

Today they have Orthodox, Reformat and RC churches in the village which current population is just 3 hundreds of inhabitants.

I would like to have more information about your ancestors originating from Németkucsova. Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
Dave M
October 06, 2022 10:44AM
Hi Maxim - I'm trying to determine what records might be available around 1880-1890 from the historical cities of Drugethaza (modern day Zarichevo) and Oszemere, as well as possibly a few other villages nearby. I'm trying to locate birth/baptism records for my great-grandparents. Can you provide any guidance as to what might be available and how I could try to find this?

Thank you!

Best,
Dave
October 11, 2022 05:22AM
Hi Dave, thanks for your post, I’ve received second one with surnames but I publish only first post since they copy each other.

Please check your Gmail address which you left here during posting. I always reply to email of a publisher first. I’ve already sent my specifying questions.

Speaking about your ancestral villages Drugethaza and Oszemere, I would like to provide short historical reference.

Drugethaza/Zaricso

Zarichovo in Google Maps

Drugethaza is old Hungarian name of Zarichovo which is established in round 20 miles from Uzhgorod. Other Hungarian name is Zaricso.

This village was first mentioned in written sources in 1551. Hungarian name Drugethaza means “house of Drugets” who were aristocratic owners of the village. Authentic name Zarichovo comes either from “Zarich who has settled near the river Ung” as given by Latin sources or from expression “across the river”.

In 1715 they built wooden church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, it had tree bells. In 1765-1770 it was re-built in stone, later in 1905 it received new bells but they also left old one smelted yet in 1750.

During 20th century the church was repaired and decorated a number of times.

Also, they have in the village female monastery of Holy Mary Magdalena.

Another interesting landmark of Zarichovo is museum “Lemko’s Estate” created in 1985 on the base of a real Lemko house and established on the hill near the village. This museum gives idea about life of a Lemko family at the beginning of 20th century. They offer folk song and dance group, original Lemko dishes and secret tea made from 7 rare mountain herbs.

Here’s short historical reference for Oszemere:

Historical reference for Oszemere
Re: Moskovic Nankif/Hustkoz/Nankove
October 13, 2022 02:19AM
Hi Rachel, thanks for your post. Modern village Nankovo is established in Khust region, in a very picturesque valley location. First is was mentioned in written sources in 1391 as Huzkaz, later they list name as Huzthkwz, Hwzthkez, Hwzthkewz, and in 1610 it appears as Huzthköz which is its stable Hungarian name.

Rusyn name Nankova/Nankovo first appears in written sources in 1773.

Mary Beaudoin
November 15, 2022 12:42PM
Hello!

I'm looking for information about my GG grandfather and my GGG grandfather. I have village names as well as siblings and some dates. I am hoping you can help me. The villages are Uzhgorod and Kajdanovo.

Thank you
Mary
Loren Varga
December 03, 2022 02:57AM
Greetings Maxim! How have you been? I pray this email finds you in good health!

I am writing to ask bout ancestors from Nagy Gejocz who were Greek Catholic. The name would be Kukrej Janos and he was the son of Kukrej Janos and Polyak Borbala. Kukrej Janos the son was born in 1838 in PutkaHelmec and died in Nagy Geocz in 1904.

Are there any Greek Catholic Records that you know of that would contain information about Janos and his parents?

Regards,
Loren
March 29, 2023 01:31AM
Hi Bonnie, thanks for your post. I write my public reply mostly to our readers since we have clarified everything in private this past autumn and research was already made.

Nagy Geocz/Hejivtsi and Csaszlocz/Chaslivtsi are villages in Uzhgorod area close to the city, and area around Uzhgorod is well covered by various Jewish registers.

So I definitely can help you to find missing records and clear up your Beck and Lang genealogy trees.

You mentioned various sources that you already have in your possession. I would like to review them.

Lucas Kernan
December 27, 2023 07:56PM
Hello there,

I am currently looking for a birth record in the Village of Veliatyno aroudn 1906. By any chance could you help? Thanks in advance.

Lucas Kernan
Lenka
January 14, 2024 09:58AM
Hello Maxim, my great grandfather Juraj Furster was born in Rakhiv on 9.4.1882, as his surname is German, we assume that he belonged to Spis Germans who lived in Rakhiv part - Zipcerei (similiar surname - Firster can be found there in 1921 - based on the records from counting of the people. We know that he moved to Slovakia at some point of time, as my grandfather was born in 1910 in Velke Berezne and his brother in 1907 in Snina.

However we miss information about his parents (mother's name should be Juliana)/siblings etc.

In one of your older posts from 2018 you stated that Roman Catholic and Reformat records from Raho/Rakhiv are lost and civil records start only from October 1895. Is it still the case? In case yes, are there any information which could be still possible to be found? Maybe some death certificates?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Jacob
February 04, 2024 01:39PM
Hello Maxim, I'm looking to obtain copy of a death record of Yechiel/Mihaly Cziment died on December 1, 1894 in Berehove (Hungarian: Beregszász), Zakarpattia Oblast, Western Ukraine.

Thank you
Jacob
David
February 19, 2024 07:47AM
Hello Maxim,

I am looking for a long time get information regarding the available records in the Archive of Zakarpattya.
I am trying to find out if my ancestors came from that region.

Do you have any information if these records can be found at the archive?

Roman Catholic (birth, marriage and death records):
Berehove 1850-1895

Greek Catholic (birth, marriage and death records):
Homok 1870-1920
Yanoshy 1850-1900

And also looking for records by state:
Berehove 1895-1921
Beregsurány: 1895-1921 - I got information that this village is in Hungary, but the records can be found in Uzhgorod
Didove 1895-1930

Thank you for the help!
David
Katya
March 19, 2024 01:28PM
Hello there,

I’m looking for some information on a few ancestors from the Zakarpattya region. I was able to trace their birthplaces to the following towns and was wondering if you had any information on the towns and if the surnames pull up anything? I tried to link their wiki pages but the message would not post the links - you should be able to Google them.

Towns:
*Alsósárad - translates to “lower tide”
[hu.wikipedia.org]

*Alsókaraszló - translates to “bottom or lower rake”
[hu.wikipedia.org]

Recently (2020) these cities have changed to the Khust/Huszt district, before they were part of the Ilosvai district. I thought at first they were the same city because they have similar names but it appears they have different locations, even though they are close by. Do you know anything about them?

Additionally, I'm searching for ancestor records with these surnames:

* Mikita
* Borotkanics
* Pleskach
* Tilnyak
* Katubi
* Bjalko
* Zabarsky / Zaborsky / Zabarcky / Zaborcky (various spellings in documents)

If you could help me, it would be super appreciated!
Bill Rusin
April 04, 2024 05:01AM
I am seeking information about my father’s family. His name was Ondrej Rusin and I understand he came from near Malyi Berezhnyi. He came to Australia by himself after WW2. He talked about his family being Greek Catholic, but sometimes he spoke about Byzantium Catholics?

His family were farmers, and he had a sister called Anna.

I would love to find out if there are relatives on his side of the family, but have no clues about finding more information.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator