Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uzhgorod archives. What to expect?

Posted by Maxim 
Chris
Re: Uzhgorod archives. What to expect?
October 26, 2020 03:28PM
Hello Maxim, I am looking for my Great Grandparents birth, marriage and death records as well as some of their children, my grand uncles. I have one document, a 1921 Census of Ung Huta village in Uzhhorod. The Great Grandparents names are Juraj Styfil, his wife Maria Kohutka Styfil, his son Jozef Styfil.

There are a few others like Stefan Styfil and a few of my Great Grandfather's siblings who came to America. But starting with Juraj, Maria and Jozef Styfil and if there are the birth, marriage and death records for them would be a great start.

Let me know what you think! Thank you!
November 20, 2020 06:13AM
Hi Michael, sure I can help you to check information about your Penyak ancestors in Dubrynychi, records for this village are available.

However, I would like to get better idea about your inquiry. Right now it looks to vague.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent my specifying questions.
November 20, 2020 06:16AM
Hi Michaele, certain vital records for village Onokivtsi/Felsodomanya exist because this is part of the Uzhgorod city in fact. At the same time, their availability depends on time frame.

However, undoubtedly, records for Petrovce should be in Slovakia. Their archives can be checked with a local researcher.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent you my suggestions.
November 20, 2020 06:21AM
Hi Zachary, I write this reply mostly for my readers because we have cleared up everything in private.

Yes, it’s possible, this birth certificate should be in civil records for Pasika. Moreover, as you know, it’s already found.
November 20, 2020 06:24AM
Hi Chris, sure I can help you. Czech census of 1921 is officially published now and may contain useful information. And if you read through my forum, you know that I specialize in vital births, marriage and death records which are pre-1895 church records and civil records that start from 1895.

Obviously, all events registered in Huta after 1895 may be found and pre-1895 time frame requires certain specification. So I need more details about your inquiry including information from census.

Please check your mail for my questions.
Abe Leitner
November 25, 2020 05:07PM
Hi. Do you have any information on Jewish families living in Bereg Rosztoka (now called Velyka Roztok) in the 19th and early 20th century? I am looking for information on a man named David Zvi Josovics (or Yosovicz) who was living there around 1908. He also had a child whose mother died in childbirth around that time.

Thank you.
January 18, 2021 01:42AM
Hi Abe, thanks for your post. I write this reply for our readers because we have specified everything in private and information about Joszovics family is now available to you.

Sure, birth record of David Joszovics should be in civil records of Bereg Rosztoka, and I can help you to obtain it. Also, civil records should contain more information about Joszovics family. Some information about Bereg Rosztoka is available in pre-1895 Jewish records too.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions and suggestions.
Megan King
January 31, 2021 04:23AM
Dear Maxim,

I'm looking for information on my great grandmother Maria Kristianova who immigrated from Jovra, Uzhgorod region in 1927. I have her Czechoslovakian passport with some basic information.

Do you think there is a chance to find out any information? I know that my great grandmother and my grandmother (also Maria) were born in Jovra, according the passport and visas. I also have some basic information on my great grandfather who was, I think, from the Kosice region. They were ethnic Hungarians, but that is about all we know.

Thank you for your answer and have a good day,

Megan
February 02, 2021 03:32AM
Hi Megan, thanks for your post. Jovra is ancient name of modern village Storozhnytsya which is located right under Uzhgorod. This is very old village first mentioned in written sources yet in 1288, but it existed even earlier. The most ancient names are Ewr, Hewr, Jowra, Ora, Eor.

In 1894 it was joined with neighboring village Darma and renamed to Őrdarma. After 1918 they use its Czech variant of name which is Storoznica.

Information about your ancestors should be in vital records for Storozhnytsya, and I can help you to obtain it.

However, you would like to get more details. Please check your mail for my specifying questions.

Later note to our readers. Research on this family is already made, our visitors can read extended feedback here:

Outstanding Research Results
David M
February 25, 2021 12:32PM
Hi Maxim,

I am searching for records of my great-grandmother, and her family, but have hit a dead end.

All the information I've found on her, outside of oral history, shows that she was born ~ May 15th, 1894 in Korlet Helmetz. Her first name is some form of "Sali", "Sarah", "Lali" and her last name is believed to be "Tulipan" ("Lali Tulipan" is found on the ship manifest, but "Sali Tulipan" is listed on her naturalization records).

Do you think you could source her birth certificate / family history? On the passenger manifest, it mentions a Lajos Tulipan as her father and a Bernate Simkovics.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
March 02, 2021 12:18AM
Hi David, thanks for your post. Korlat Helmecz is also known as Putka Helmecz, these are old Hungarian names. Now it’s village Holmets in Uzhgorod region.

Yes, I think sourcing birth certificate of Sali Tulipan in 1894 is possible, same as finding more information about her family. However, I would like to have more details.

Please check your mail, I’ve sent my specifying questions.
JLange
March 15, 2021 06:52PM
Greetings, so I've recently found documents listing the birth place of 2 individuals as Uzhhorod and I'm wondering how one does research there and/or obtains records?

Mihaly Ivaniczki born about 1872 in Kereknye (in Ukrainian Koritnyani) is a village in Transcarpathia/ Zakarpattia, Ukraine, Uzhhorod District.

Anna Mihaly born about 1876 in Császlóc (in Ukrainian Chaslivtsi), village in Ukraine, Transcarpathia/Zakarpattia the Uzhhorod District.

They married around 1898, likely in this same area, and had 3 daughters.

The oldest was likely born in Ukraine, as I cannot find online records for her. The other 2 daughters were born in Komoro, Hungary - just over the border from Uzhhorod. Anyway, I'd love to get someone else's take on this and try to locate records or parents for Anna and/or Mihaly. Thank you.
John A Doyle
Grandparents marriage
March 17, 2021 01:14PM
Maxim:

Tom Peters of the C-R Society suggested you might be able to assist me.

My grandparents Demeter(Denis when he got to the US) Hebor and Melona Holik were married in Szerednye in the 1880's before they emigrated to the US.They were Ruthenian Catholics.I would like to obtain a copy of the church records of their marriage which Tom tells me are in the State Archive in Uzhorod.I can provide you a copy of my grandmothers Emigration document if this would help.

If you are able to assist me in this matter please let me know your fee.

Thank you,
John Doyle
March 30, 2021 02:29AM
Hi J Lange, I write this public reply for our readers because we have clarified everything in private already.

So my congratulations, you have identified your ancestral villages absolutely correctly. Both Kereknye and Császlóc are now villages in Uzhgorod region, close to the city.

I can help you to locate and obtain records for Anna and Mihaly, this is possible because certain vital records for these villages are available.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions and suggestions.
Scott Foster
April 03, 2021 06:12PM
I am researching my Wife's Gergely/Hudak family line. Which are a brick wall. Until recently all United States and family oral information.

John Gergely...born March 1837 in Hungary...Immigrated 1881...Marries Julia Hudak in 1885. Children: Annie, B-1868; John, B-1870; Julius, B-1876; Joseph; & Mary,B-1885. All but Mary where born in Hungary.

Julia (Hudak) Gergely..Born Jan 1834 in Hungary...Died 1906 in Uzhorod, Zakarpats'ka(sp),Ukraine. Just recently
received the death/Ukraine information.

I am sorry for any cultural miss spelling..

Any information, data and/or leads will greatly be appreciated.

Thank You...Scott Foster
Lori LeGault
June 07, 2021 02:38PM
Hi Maxim,

My grandparents Josef Penzenstadler and Anna Kershbaum are from Szinyák / Kékesfüred = Synjak, born in 1888 and 1877 respectively. That is all the information I have been able to find. Could you help me go from here?
Re: Grandparents marriage
July 28, 2021 01:59AM
Hi John, this is my public reply for our readers. We have clarified everything is private and research is proceeding.

So sure, Tom Peters is correct and I can help you to find out more information about your ancestors. Undoubtedly, marriage record in Szerednye may be found and actually, it’s found already.

All documents which provide information on your ancestors would be helpful.

Questions like fees are discussed in private upon case review. So please check your mail for my suggestions.
July 31, 2021 01:36AM
Hi Scott, thanks for your post. I write this public reply for our readers, you have received my private reply yet in April.

As a genealogy researcher, I can help you but discussing cost is too early.

Right now your inquiry lacks the most important point which is location.

Surnames look Rusyn but Hungary was big back then... do you know exact location of Gergely and Hudak families?

For example, you mentioned death information from Ukraine. Does this source indicate any birth origin?

Please check your mail for my questions.
Eva Frojmovic
October 14, 2021 04:35PM
Dear Maxim,

I am trying to find out more about my grandfather Fulop FROJMOVITS, son of Henrik FROJMOVITS and Hanna HERSCHKOVICS, born on 17 Apr 1895 in Szurte, Ung county. He died on 11 Jan 1945 in Auschwitz. He married Hajnal (Anna) GROSS in 1920 (exact date unknown) in Uzhgorod.

My family tradition has it that Fulop, also known as Feivel, served as an officer and was wounded on the Italian front during WW1. But as the whole family was deported to Auschwitz, they lost all their pre-war documents.

Can you help me to find out more about Fulop and any other Frojmovits family members from Uzhgorod? I have a family tree in PDF format with additional names. They were a big family, the majority of whom were murdered in Auschwitz.

Best wishes, Eva Frojmovic (Leeds, UK)
Margo
November 23, 2021 04:24PM
Hello,

I'm trying to obtain birth records for my great-grandparents who were both born in Nagybégány/Nordbega, Hungary (1880's-1890's). I have several documents which I could share, including their marriage record in the U.S. (includes their parents' names), but need assistance with obtaining any Hungarian documents. My understanding is that Nagybégány/Nordbega is now the village of Velyka Byihan in the Zakarpattia Oblast of western Ukraine. From one of your posts, it indicated that this information would be found in the state archive of Transcarpathia which is located in Uzhgorod. Would you be able to assist with this request?

Best regards,

Margo
November 24, 2021 03:25AM
Hi Eva, thanks for your post. Of course, I can help you to discover more information about your ancestors.

You have kindly provided basic information and I see good grounds for research on Frojmovits, Herskovits and Gross families in Szurte and Ungvar.

You have mentioned family tree in pdf format with additional names, reviewing it would be very helpful.

Please check your mail for my specifying questions.
December 15, 2021 12:43AM
Hi Margo, I write this reply publicly to our readers because we have specified everything and records are already found.

Yes, Nagybégány is modern village Velyka Byihan in Beregovo region of Transcarpathia. Here’s link to Google maps:

Nagybégány

Location name Nordbega is not familiar to me, may be your ancestors used it as local synonym but its origin is not clear. It sound German but German names are innate only to villages and cities inhabited by Germans. And Nagybegany was inhabited mostly by Hungarians and Rusyns.

So I think this is exactly Nagybegany.

Sure, information about your ancestors could be found is state archives in Uzhgorod. I’m able to assist the request and obtain these records for you.

Kathy P.
January 31, 2022 12:41AM
Hello,

I'm searching for ancestors with surnames Marunich (Marunic), Kereczman (Keretzman), Maco, Lapay and Sitar (Zsitar, Setar, Sitarz). I only know some basic details and would appreciate some advice on how to get more info and perhaps trace my family back a few more generations.

My first priority is my grandfather, Mihal Marunich, who was born in Topol'a - would that be in the Uzhhorod archives? I believe the others were born and/or married in Ungvar, Tur'i Remety, and possibly Oszemere. I can provide more details when you contact me.

Thank you so much. This is a wonderful service you provide. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
-kathy p.
March 24, 2022 03:42AM
Hi Kathy, thanks for your post. I write this public reply to our readers because we have clarified everything in private and in fact research was already made.

First of all, Topol’a is city in Presov region of Slovakia. So all vital records for this city should be in state archives of Slovakia.

I can help you with cities and villages located in modern Transcarpathia/Zakarpattya like Ungvar/Uzhgorod, Turja Remete/Turji Remety, and Oszemere/Simer.

All these cities are referenced to our region so information about your ancestors can be found here. As a genealogy researcher I can help you to obtain it, and my genealogy service works under any circumstances.

Tim Standaert
April 03, 2022 07:50PM
Hello! I hope you and your family are doing well, despite the horrible things occurring in Ukraine. What a tragedy.

My great grandmother, Marie Karbovanecz, was born in Nevicke about 1883 and immigrated to the U.S. in 1900 or 1901. She lived in New York and then New Jersey.

Marie had a sister (maybe cousin?) named Anna (married name Dolenach) and a brother (maybe cousin?) named Frank. Frank moved at some point to Ohio.

I believe Marie was Greek Orthodox. When living in New York City, I noticed that after her son Daniel (my grandfather) was born in 1911, he was baptized in a Roman Catholic church, rather than in a Greek Orthodox church.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for records I might be able to check?

Thanks!

Tim
Anthony
April 21, 2022 08:36PM
Hello Maxim,

I hope you are safe and doing well, especially considering the current situation in Ukraine. I am seeking information about some of my ancestors from Transcarpathia. They are Anastasia Kidora (born 7 January 1890, probably in Perechyn, parents George Kidora and Mary Kesanich) and George Bakezs (born 15 May 1886, also probably in Perechyn, parents Andrew Bakezs and Maria). I've hit a brick wall with this part of my family tree and I would appreciate any help from you. I hope to find living relatives if possible. Please let me know what you charge for this type of research.

Many thanks,
Anthony
April 26, 2022 10:53AM
Hi Maxim,
My Great Grandfather and Grandmother were married in the area near Uzhorod, in late 1800s. If I provide the names would it be possible to research any records on their families there? They immigrated to United States in early 1900s. Please stay safe.
Thanks,
Jeff
Tam
May 26, 2022 01:48PM
Hello Maxim,

I truly hope you're safe during these times in Ukraine.
I'm currently researching about my grandmother's family from Uzhgorod.
She survived the holocaust as a teen and had almost no photos or documents of her family from her home town.
I've managed to find some information in Myheritage and Yad Vashem website but there's no sufficient information about her parents.
If it's possible to research it, please contact me and I will supply the names and places I got so far.
Thank you in advance!
Stay safe,
Tam
July 19, 2022 05:09AM
Hi Tim, thanks for your post. Transcarpathia is safe region currently. So my website works as usual and same about genealogical service associated with it.

Nevicke was predominantly Rusyn village so the only temple thay had there was Greek-Catholic one. First in mid 18th century, it was wooden church with 3 bells. Later, in 1777-1779 they have built large stone Church of the Intercession. This church had gorgeous decor and icon-stand, however, they were lost during repair in 1960s. Beyond that, the temple is maintained in almost initial view.

So your ancestors were Greek-Catholics. This religion allows visiting both Roman-Catholic and Orthodox churches and services.

About Nevicke vital records, yes, as a genealogist I can help you to obtain them.

Please check your mail for my suggestions.
Mike
August 09, 2022 01:37PM
Hi,

I am looking for information about the Engelman family, a certain Samuel Engelman mentioned in the early 19th-century census as living in Dussene near Svalyva.

Is this something you can assist me with?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.
Mike
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator